Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's Snowing on June 9th in Banff

We get up early because Bunny is flying back to Raleigh today from the Calgary Airport, about 90 minutes south of Banff.  It’s raining and the sky is deeply overcast.  The beautiful landscape looks as though it’s behind a sheer gray shower curtain.  The rain doesn’t stop all the way to the airport.  Calgary’s airport is outside the city so there’s no traffic problem this time.  I give Bunny a hug and I realize I’m on my own now.  Nobody to solve any problems that come up but me.  I’m back on the road to Banff, noticing that the rain is heavier now than when we left this morning.  I’m about halfway there when I see SNOW FLAKES mixed in with the rain flying at my windshield.  I can’t believe it is snowing in June.  This is bad because I’m terrified of driving in the white stuff.  My body goes rigid all the way to my eyeballs and my world gets reduced to the 12-foot strip of slush right in front of the car.  By the time I get to the east gate of the park, there’s an inch of snow on the road that’s crunching underneath my wheels.  As I’m waiting to explain why I shouldn’t have to pay the park fee, the snow flakes beg for my attention as they stick on my windshield, all beautiful, perfectly formed circles as big as salad plates.  I desperately want to get off the road, but go where?  I'm on the Transcanada Highway, a four-lane freeway that runs straight through Banff National Park.  The Transcanada spans the length of the country, from Newfoundland to British Columbia, and it is the only good road that climbs over the mountains.  I'm miles from the next exit.  The park ranger at the gate is nonchalant about the snow and assures me that the road into Banff is fine.  I wonder how she knows that, but I take her word for it.  The town of Banff is about ten miles away and by the time I get there, the sun is shining.  I’ve just experienced a rather extreme example of the changeability of mountain weather.  

No comments:

Post a Comment