Monday, June 4, 2012

"Life is a great adventure…accept it in such a spirit"

Who Said That?
I love the Badlands!

One of thousands of prairie dogs in the park

Magnificent beasts
Good riddance to Bismarck, North Dakota.  No happy memories there.  Speeding on to a planned stop at Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  Never heard of it?  Neither had I until I googled attractions in western North Dakota.  Roosevelt was looking for adventure when he came to the North Dakota Badlands to hunt buffalo as a young man, but instead he developed a profound appreciation for wild places that shaped the rest of his life.  "I have always said I would not have been President had it not been for my experience in North Dakota."  As President, he fought to preserve and protect unique American natural resources for future generations by placing approximately 230 million acres of land under Federal protection.  Bunny and I spent about two hours driving the 36-mile loop through the southern section of the park and found bison, prairie dogs (lots), and feral horses.  The elk and the bighorn sheep weren't working today.  Truly a unique American wild place preserved by a great American president.  I think you know the answer to my question by now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment